Inclusion of persons with disabilities
Going by the latest estimates, about 15% of humanity, one billion people worldwide, live with some kind of disability – around 80% of them in developing countries. This explains why persons with disabilities are often called the “biggest minority on the planet”.
Persons with disabilities often do not enjoy equal access to schools and higher education institutions, employment opportunities, or health and welfare systems. Many of them are subject to stigma and discrimination in their own communities and cannot realise their right to full and equal participation in society. Disability is also a development challenge: As a result of exclusion from the labour market and higher costs of living, persons with disabilities are more likely to be poor than those without.
To address this challenge German development cooperation follows a twin-track approach:
- It supports projects specifically designed for people with disabilities.
- It aims to ensure that all mainstream projects also consider the concerns of persons with disabilities.
By ratifying the new UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, Germany has made a firm commitment to inclusive development cooperation.
Selected readings on Healthy DEvelopments
- Every person counts: Promoting the inclusion of people with disabilities in the health sector in Cambodia (Case Study, GHPC, 2015)
- Boosting Employability: Recommendations for strengthening the labour market focus of panti social (Policy Brief, GIZ Indonesia, 2016)
- Towards inclusive employment in Indonesia: A practice experience (Policy brief, GIZ, 2015)
- Breaking down barriers: An inclusion programme in Cambodia (In focus article, 2014)
- My needs are the same as yours (InFocus article, 2016)
Links to other German Development Cooperation resources
- BMZ: Rights of people with disabilities
- GIZ: ‘Inclusive Social Protection’ – a toolbox - external link, new window
- INCLUSION MATTERS – Making international cooperation work for persons with disabilities. (2 minute-video, GIZ, 2016) - external link, new window
- Inclusion in Bangladesh's textile industry: "Including us" - Clip 1 (3 minute-video, GIZ-PSES, 2015) - external link, new window
- Inclusion in Bangladesh's textile industry: "Including us" - Clip 2 (3 minute-video, GIZ-PSES, 2015) - external link, new window
- Inclusion in Bangladesh's textile industry: "Including us" - Clip 3 (3 minute-video, GIZ-PSES, 2015) - external link, new window