Germany’s Last Mile Initiative is supporting the Government of Libya to accelerate its national COVID-19 vaccination campaign. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Management of Hazardous Waste Produced by the COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign in Libya project.
The project supports information campaigns aimed at building vaccine confidence in 11 municipalities in the west, south and east of the country. It also works with partners to train doctors and nurses how to advise patients on vaccination accurately and sensitively. Community leaders, local health authorities, and civil society representatives are being trained to address prevailing misconceptions about vaccination through culturally sensitive campaigns. Finally, the project is introducing eco-friendly systems for the management of hazardous waste, including vaccination waste, in two municipalities.
- Executing project: Management of Hazardous Waste Produced by the COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign in Libya
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Libyan Ministry of Health, UNICEF
- Funding: EUR 900,000 from the German Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 17.3 m of core funding)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org