The German Last Mile Initiative is supporting partners to improve the vaccine infrastructure in rural areas of western Cambodia. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Improved Competitiveness of National Enterprises (ICONE) project.
With support from the Initiative, the project is training service providers how to establish a seamless cold chain infrastructure, especially for mRNA vaccines. It is also strengthening logistics and transportation capacities through the procurement of motorcycles which medical field staff can use to reach remote rural areas during vaccination campaigns. In addition, it is training laboratory personnel and providing provincial hospitals, district hospitals and health centres with new equipment. With support from the project, video and radio clips related to the vaccination campaign are being broadcast and shared via social media. Planning is underway for further capacity development measures to improve the monitoring of pandemics and epidemics.
- Executing project: Improved Competitiveness of National Enterprises (ICONE)
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partner: Council for the Development of Cambodia (CDC)
- Funding: EUR 2 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 8 m core funding)
- Contact: email@example.com