The German Last Mile Initiative supports partners in Guatemala to expand the Ministry of Health’s information campaign about COVID-19 vaccinations to rural areas of Guatemala, as well as to Campeche, Mexico. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Strengthening the Regional Strategic and Operational Cooperation for the Protection of the Selva Maya project.
In cooperation with local partners, the project works to increase the percentage of fully vaccinated people, with a particular focus on municipalities with low vaccination rates. It supports the production of animated videos on vaccination and prevention measures in Spanish and four Mayan languages. These are disseminated via social media, mobile units (perifoneo), local television and radio. The project is also procuring equipment to maintain the vaccine cold chain in Guatemala, including thermometers, generators, electric and solar refrigerators, vaccine carriers and thermal boxes, and is providing resources to hire nursing assistants.
- Executing project: Strengthening the regional strategic and operational cooperation for the protection of the Selva Maya
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Central American Commission on Environment and Development (CCAD), Ministry of Health Guatemala, Secretaría de Salud del Estado de Campeche, México
- Funding: EUR 1 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 8 m core funding)
- Contact: email@example.com