The German Last Mile Initiative supports partners in Malawi to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic and to prepare for future outbreaks through measures which enhance the resilience of the health system. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Malawi German Health Programme. The programme is supporting the development of a digital tool which captures vaccination and disease surveillance and control data. It is also equipping the Zomba Central Hospital with an infectious disease unit and new facilities to manage pandemic-related hazardous waste. In parallel, the programme strengthens vaccination supply chains and data management capacities in central Malawi and flood-affected districts. Drones are being used to facilitate the distribution of vaccines in hard-to-reach areas. Together, these measures help to improve COVID-19 vaccination uptake.
- Executing project: Malawi German Health Programme
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by:Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Ministry of Health, Zomba Central Hospital, district councils, health facilities
- Funding: EUR 3.5 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 12.7 m core funding)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org