The German Last Mile Initiative supports local authorities in rural and informal urban areas of Zambia in their efforts to mobilise, educate and raise awareness for COVID-19 vaccinations. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Decentralisation for Development project. The project is working with the Local Government Association of Zambia and the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development to train more than 1,000 district AIDS coordination advisors and selected members of ward development committees to campaign for vaccinations. It is also supporting the production and distribution of information and educational material about COVID-19 vaccinations in five local languages, as well as English. In addition, it is sensitising citizen journalists and traditional leaders to the benefits of vaccination. Local cultural events; arts, music and theatre groups; and media channels are also being used as platforms to engage with citizens. The project has reached 4.1 million people, predominantly in rural areas, through these outreach activities.
- Executing project: Decentralisation for Development
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Decentralisation Secretariat, Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, Local Government Association of Zambia, selected local authorities (Northwestern Province, Southern Province, Luapula Province)
- Funding: EUR 0.5 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 10 m core funding)
- Contact: email@example.com