The German Last Mile Initiative is making it possible to offer continuous vaccination services in remote areas of Togo by expanding the ultra-low cold chain. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Health System Strengthening in Togo project. The project is providing primary health care centres in two regions with solar energy systems and motorbikes for mobile vaccination campaigns, where needed. It is also procuring other supplies and equipment required for vaccination services, including freezers and transportation boxes, personal protective equipment, and temperature monitoring systems. To increase demand for vaccination, the project is supporting mass media communications and community outreach activities. It also provides trainings and IT equipment to better monitor vaccination coverage and enhances laboratory sequencing capacities through the provision of additional equipment, training and materials.
- Executing project: Health System Strengthening in Togo
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Ministry of Planification, Ministry of Health
- Funding: EUR 1.5 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 14.14 m core funding)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org