The German Last Mile Initiative supports partners in Somalia to acquire and administer COVID-19 vaccines, thereby strengthening regional vaccination capacities and coverage. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Sustainable Water Resources Management programme. The programme is procuring vaccines, cold chain machinery and protective clothing needed to undertake vaccination campaigns. It is also supporting training for local medical staff and health volunteers on skills such as case management, vaccine micro-planning, community engagement, and medical waste management. About 26,000 people have been reached with information about COVID-19 vaccination through radio, social media and grassroots community engagement. The programme also supports the rehabilitation of medical facilities and sanitation infrastructure. The measures made possible by the Last Mile Initiative are primarily benefitting frontline workers, older people, women, and people with co-morbidities or disabilities.
- Executing project: Sustainable Water Resource Management Programme
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by:Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Ministry of Health, South West State of Somalia
- Funding: EUR 1.0 m from Last Mile Initiative
- Contact: email@example.com