The German Last Mile Initiative supports the African Union Vaccination Bingwa Initiative, a COVID-19 vaccination acceleration campaign, in African Union member states. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Strengthening Crisis and Pandemic Response in Africa project.
The African Union Vaccination Bingwa Initiative is a joint project of the African Center for Disease Control (Africa CDC) and the African Union Commission (AUC) Youth Division through its Women, Gender and Youth Directorate. It aims by April 2023 to encourage 100 million people, including 70 million youth, to get vaccinated against COVID-19. With support from the Last Mile Initiative, trained youth influencers are taking part in roadshows and vaccination events at colleges, youth centres, cinemas, and shopping malls and promoting the campaign on social media. Thus far 250 young people and 125 other campaigners who have been trained on mobilisation techniques and behaviour change methodologies have reached more than 13.3 million people through social media with the hashtag #AUBingwa.
- Executing project: Strengthening Crisis and Pandemic Response in Africa
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Commission of the African Union, Africa Centers for Disease Control (Africa CDC)
- Funding: EUR 1.0 m from Last Mile Initiative
- Contact: email@example.com