Using schools as entry points, the German Last Mile Initiative supports vaccination and hygiene campaigns in Malawi, South Sudan and Zambia. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Fit for School Initiative for Africa. Fit for School works with local partners to strengthen existing school health programmes and national vaccination strategies with the aim of fostering pandemic-resilient schools. It implements school-based campaigns which strengthen infection prevention and control measures and bolster the trust of teachers, students and the wider community in national vaccination recommendations. It also supports video and social media campaigns and initiates international learning and exchange between partners in different African countries. With support from the Last Mile Initiative, 47,000 school children and teachers have been reached so far via in-person activities, extensive open online courses and social media campaigns on water, sanitation and hygiene. In addition, more than 80 handwashing facilities have been constructed in schools and teacher training colleges.
- Executing project: Sector Programme Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Ministry of Education Malawi, Natural Resources Stewardship Programme Zambia, Lusaka City Council, Lusaka Water Security Initiative (LUWSI), Deutsche Welthungerhilfe, WaterAid, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), Viva Con Aqua
- Funding: EUR 2 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 26.4 m core funding)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org