The German Last Mile Initiative is supporting the Malagasy government to improve vaccination coverage in rural areas of Boeny. In cooperation with the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, GIZ implements the financed measures through the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Natural Resources in Madagascar project. It supports hygiene measures and vaccine education campaigns which aim to reach 50,000 people with information about the benefits of vaccination against COVID-19. It also trains medical staff in effective cold storage of COVID-19 vaccines and procures equipment and supplies to support the vaccination campaign. These include disposable syringes, laptops, smartphones and a vehicle to access remote areas.
- Executing project: Conservation and Sustainable Use of Natural Resources in Madagascar
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partner: Ministry of the Environment and Sustainable Development
- Funding: EUR 700,000 from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 22.7 m core funding)
- Contact: email@example.com