Germany’s Last Mile Initiative supports the provision of electricity and cooling capacities to rural health facilities in Ethiopia, Liberia, Malawi, Mali and Senegal. GIZ implements the financed measures through the Energising Development (EnDev) project, which provides access to climate-friendly energy in over 20 countries worldwide. With support from the Last Mile Initiative, the project is procuring solar-powered refrigeration systems, various energy systems and medical supplies. These are making it possible to distribute COVID-19 vaccines more widely and are contributing to improved healthcare in rural sub-Saharan Africa.
- Executing project: Energising Development (EnDev)
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partners: Various, depending on the country: Ethiopia, Liberia, Malawi, Mali and Senegal
- Funding: EUR 10 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 460 m core funding)
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org