The German Last Mile Initiative is supporting the COVID-19 response in Palestinian refugee camps in Jordan. In cooperation with the Health Programme of the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA), GIZ implements the financed measures through the Strengthening the Influence of Palestinian Refugees on their Living Conditions project.
One of the main supported activities is a COVID-19 vaccination information and awareness campaign which targets Palestinian refugees through posters, brochures and videos. Trained youth volunteers from 10 Palestinian refugee camps have been engaged in carrying out the campaign. They have reached over 97,000 people with information. In addition, the project facilitates the coordination and logistical processes of other local vaccination campaigns. It ensures and expands vaccination capacities by equipping and mobilising staff in a vaccination hub in the Zarqa refugee camp and by supporting the protection of health sector personnel. The project also helps to increase the skills of health workers in the proper management and disposal of medical waste.
- Executing project: Strengthening the Influence of Palestinian Refugees on their Living Conditions (PART II)
- Implementing organisation: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
- Commissioned by: Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Local partner: United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
- Funding: EUR 0.75 m from Last Mile Initiative (in addition to EUR 9 m core funding)
- Contact: email@example.com